Saturday, December 13, 2008

Red Velvet Cupcakes

Photobucket


A lot of people have been talking about red velvet lately. I think the first time I saw red velvet cake was in the movie Steel Magnolias. I love that movie and that crazy armadillo cake.

When I read the ingredient list of red velvet cake, it seemed like something that both my chocolate hating husband and I would like. It has a little chocolate, but not enough to make my husband turn up his nose. It seemed like the perfect compromise.

I think these cupcakes came out really nice, moist and flavorful. Definetly worth a try. I'm sure there are tons of recipes out there. This is just one that was recommended to me.

Ingredient List

3 cups all purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1 1/4 cup buttermilk
3 eggs
2 tablespoons red food coloring
1 1/4 teaspoon white vinegar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 tablespoons water

  1. Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees.
  2. With a flour sifter, sift together flour, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder in a bowl and set it aside.

    If you don't have a flour sifter, I use can use a handheld strainer. Really though they arent expensive. I bought mine for $12 at Macy's.

    Photobucket
  3. In a seperate bowl, mix the vegetable oil, sugar and buttermilk together until combined.
  4. Photobucket

  5. Then add the eggs, food coloring, vinegar, vanilla and water and mix well
  6. Photobucket

  7. Slowly start to mix in the powdered ingredients a little at a time. Be careful to not over mix. Remember to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
  8. Photobucket

  9. Line a cupcake baking pan with cupcake liners and scoop the batter in using an ice cream scoop. I used a medium cookie scoop.

  10. Do a couple of test cupcakes, if you want. This batter does not rise much, so make sure to fill the liners at least 3/4 of the way up.

  11. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean

  12. Remove from cupcake tray and let cool on a wire rack.
  13. Photobucket

  14. When the cupcakes are cool you can frost them and add decoration.
Photobucket


0 comments: