Sunday, December 28, 2008

Baked French Toast

Photobucket

We love french toast. We just don't make it that often. That could be because we don't really cook breakfast too often - and when we do - its eggs and toast or eggs and potatoes, or we use our awesome waffle iron to make some humongous waffles. I must say my waffle iron was a gift from my husband about a year after we'd been together. It was a weird christmas gift. I know we were talking about getting one.. luckily it wasn't my only christmas gift that year.

Anyways, back to French Toast. I had seen some recipes for baked french toast and it intrigued me. It sounded easy enough. I worried about the direction to "let sit it in the fridge overnight" would make it soggy. I guess I would find out.

Ingredients
5 eggs lightly beaten
1 cup half and half
1/2 loaf french bread - cut diagonally into 1" slices
1/2 cup of milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup of butter - melted
2 tablespoons maple syrup
2 teaspoons cinnamon


  • In a large bowl - whisk together eggs, milk, cream, cinnamon and vanilla
  • Dip bread slices into the mixture
  • Place in a greased 9x13 pan and refridgerate overnight
  • Photobucket
  • Preheat oven to 350
  • Take pan out of the fridge to take some of the chill off
  • In a small bowl - mix hot melted butter, brown sugar and maple syrup.
  • Spoon sugar mixture over the bread.
  • Photobucket
  • Bake 40 minutes
  • Let stand 5 minutes before serving

  • Photobucket

Verdict? - We both thought it was soggy. Maybe it was the fact that I used french bread? Maybe I should have used a thick solid bread. Maybe it was because it soaked overnight. Either way. I'm going to try again tomorrow to see if not letting it soak overnight makes it any less soggy. Either way,it was edible. Just not our cup of tea. We like moist, but not so much that it falls apart in your mouth.

If that doesn't work, I'm going to change the bread.

0 comments: