Thursday, December 18, 2008

Macaroni and Cheese Bake

Photobucket

I usually get my macaroni and cheese fix from a little blue box. I'm sure I'm not the only one. I've never really had homemade mac and cheese. So I wondered - is it better? Is it worth the extra effort?

So I had to see for myself.

I got this recipe online, I also noticed that they had a recipe on the back of the macaroni box. It called for more milk and more butter. I wonder if it would have made it creamier?

Here's the recipe I tried:


Ingredients
1 lb elbow macaroni
4 tablespoons flour
4 cups of milk or half and half (I used half and half)
1 bay leaf
1 large egg (beaten)
1 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon paprika
4 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
fresh cracked black pepper
Toppings
3 tablespoons of butter
1 cup panko bread crumbs
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  • In a large pot of salted water, cook pasta to al dente.
  • In a separate pot, melt butter and whisk in flour at a little at a time, keep stirring for five minutes. Make sure its lump free.
  • Stir in milk, bay leaf and paprika. Simmer for 10 minutes and remove the bay leaf.
  • Photobucket
  • Add egg and stir in 3/4 of the cheese, season with salt and pepper.

  • Photobucket

  • Fold macaroni into the mix.

  • Photobucket

  • Pour mixture into a cassarole dish. Top with remaining cheese

Topping

  • In a skillet, melt butter and fold in the bread crumbs.

  • Photobucket

  • Wait until they turn golden brown
  • Top cassarole with bread crumbs
    Photobucket


    Bake for 30 minutes and remove from oven.
    Let sit for five minutes before serving.


Photobucket

0 comments: