Sunday, December 28, 2008

Chicken Sausage Pasta Bake

Photobucket

I wanted to make something easy for my inlaws. My husband and I make baked ziti all the time, so when I saw this recipe, It sounded easy, but different twist on what we normally do. It changes it up without being risky.

When I pitched the chicken sausage bake to my husband.. He didn't seem too enthused. He said - do you really think its safe to experiment on my family? Why not try it another night with just me?

So I said we'll its basically the same thing we always do, but it uses chicken sausage instead, so it shouldn't be too horrible. If anything it will be edible. Just not as good as the other.

Anyways, so he agreed... but he said we should nix the spinach and onions that was in the recipe, just in case since his dad didn't really care for either. So no big deal. If you want to add those back in, go for it. We didn't use them, but I'll probably add them in the next time I make this... and yes, there will be a next time. It was good!! It was just as good as the baked ziti that I normally make. I thought it was a refreshing change.

Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 c. vodka (optional)
1 onion chopped
1 can whole tomatoes with juice - slightly crushed with hands
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 cup heavy cream
10 ounces baby spinach
1 pound rigatoni or penne
12 oz smoked chicken sausage (I used 4 links)
6 ounces of fontina cheese - shredded
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees
  • Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta to al-dente. Add spinach until it is wilted. drain and put back in the pot.
  • While the pasta is cooking, heat oil in a large skillet. Saute the onions until they are translucent. Stir in the garlic. Remove from heat. Add the vodka. Return to heat and cook until almost evaporated.
  • Stir in tomatoes and oregano. Cook the tomatoes until they are falling apart - about 10 minutes.
  • Add cream. Cook until warmed through. Add salt and pepper.
  • Add tomato sauce and sausage to the pasta pot. Stir to combine.

    Photobucket
  • Add half to a 9x13 pan. Sprinkle with half the fontina cheese. Add the rest and sprinkle with the rest of the cheese and the parmesan cheese.
  • Bake until browned and edges are crisp - about 30 minutes.
Photobucket

0 comments: