Monday, December 22, 2008

Hollandaise Sauce

Photobucket

I love eggs benedict. I get it sometimes when we go out for breakfast. I've just never made it at home because of the sauce.

Hollandaise Sauce always sounded very daunting to me. I don't know why. When I came across this recipe online, I thought it didnt sound so hard. So I thought I'd give it a try. It was pretty easy to make. For awhile, I wondered if it was ever going to thicken, but when it did, it thickened fast
Ingredients
5 egg yolks
5 tablespoons of butter - melted
1/4 cup of fresh squeezed lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 tablespoon of water
pinch of cayenne
  • Whisk yolks and lemon juice together until mixed in a big glass bowl
  • Place bowl over a pot of boiling water (the bowl should NOT touch the water)
  • Whisk the egg mixture - don't let it get too hot or they will scramble
  • Slowly add the melted butter
  • Whisk until the sauce is thick
  • Take off the heat and whisk in the salt and cayenne

I thought this recipe was really lemony. Almost like biting into the lemon itself. If thats what floats your boat keep it- I think if I make this again, I'll add only a little bit of lemon juice and just subsitute water for the rest.

0 comments: