Friday, December 19, 2008

Chex Muddy Buddies

Photobucket

I first had these when I was a kid. Who wouldn't like chocolate, peanut butter and powdered sugar together. Yum.

Its super easy, very snackable and people of all ages love it. I know I still do. I make this for movie nights when I don't feel like eating buttery popcorn.

Ingredients
6 cups chex cereal (any kind you like)
1/4 cup butter
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup peanut butter
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
Now you can find two sets of instructions for this - stove top or microwave. I never really feel comfortable melting chocolate in the microwave. Its better to melt it over low in a saucepan - but to each their own.
  • In a saucepan over low heat, melt the butter.
  • When the butter has melted, add the peanut butter and chocolate chips.
  • Stir until melted and immediately take off the heat.
  • Photobucket

  • In a big mixing bowl, measure out 6 cups of cereal
  • Pour the chocolate mixture over the top and stir until all the cereal is covered - you can add more cereal if you think there is enough chocolate to go around.
  • Photobucket
  • Put the chocolate covered cereal in a big Ziploc bag and pour the powdered sugar on top.
  • Close the bag and shake until the cereal is covered with powdered sugar.
  • You can pour the cereal on foil or wax paper to cool and dry, or you can just pour in a bowl and eat while its still gooey. Which is my choice. Its not really sticky or anything, it will eventually set. I'm a big fan of eating stuff while its still gooey or melty... but if thats not your thing. Then let it cool and dry first.
If you haven't tried this - I really recommend this. It satisfies both my crunch cravings that popcorn does AND my sweet cravings. Anything thats left, put in a Ziploc bag or a Tupperware on the counter.

nom nom nom
Photobucket

1 comments:

~Amber~ said...

Oh I love this stuff, I call it dog chow though. It is so addictive.