Thursday, February 19, 2009

S'mores Cookie Bars

I love smores. Who doesn't. We were talking about them on the knot board and I had the worst craving for them. I found this recipe along time ago and knew it was finally time to make these. They came out great. They were a big hit when I brought them to my friend's house for after dinner dessert.

They only thing is they are sticky and messy and a pain in the butt to cut and get over to her house for dinner. I kept having to put them back in the oven because they weren't done. Plus having to wait for them to cool didn't make them exactly quick either.

So only make these if you are not in a hurry. I thought oh I have two hours - thats plenty of time. Wrong! Prep took me about 20 minutes. Plus cooking and waiting for them to cool, I was thirty minutes late. I almost gave up on these and left without them. I'm glad I didn't though.




Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Ingredients
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs (about 8 graham crackers)
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 king-sized milk chocolate bars (my store was out of plain king sized bars - so I just bought milk chocolate chips and it turned out just fine.
1 1/2 cups marshmallow creme/fluff (not melted marshmallows)




1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and/or line an 8-inch square baking pan.
2. Pulse graham crackers in a food processor until there are no big pieces left and there is only crumbs.



Image and video hosting by TinyPic



3. In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light. Beat in egg and vanilla.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder and salt. Add to butter mixture and mix at a low speed until combined. Divide dough in half and press half of dough into an even layer on the bottom of the prepared pan.
5. Place chocolate bars over dough (2 king-sized Hershey’s bars should fit perfectly side by side, but break the chocolate if necessary to get it to fit in a single layer no more than 1/4 inch thick).




6. Spread the marshmallow fluff over the chocolate.


7. Place remaining dough in a single layer on top of the fluff



8. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, until lightly browned.
9. Cool completely before cutting into bars.






1 comments:

Anonymous said...

YUMMY, i love smores!