Sunday, February 15, 2009

Easy Chili

When I first moved in with my husband I made him what I considered chili. He called it bean soup. I grew up with that bean soup and I loved it. I always go over to grandma's for it and take a big tupperware container home for me. Nevertheless, I never made it for him again.

Then he asked me after we got married to make some chili for him. I asked if he wanted me to make mine again, and he said no, try something else. So I scoured the internet for a recipe, and found this one. It seemed simple enough. Instead of soaking and cooking my own beans - like I do in mine, I decided to just go easy and use canned. This was really good and it reheats well. You can mix up the beans - pinto, kidney,black and/or chili beans - whatever you like. I decided to stick with what I know and went with all pinto beans.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Ingredients
1 1/2 lbs ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
2 (16 ounce) cans pinto beans, drained
16 oz can diced tomatoes
16 oz can tomato sauce
1 teaspoon ground cayenne
1/4 cup chili powder
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
salt and pepper to taste


1. In dutch oven or a large saucepan, over med heat, cook beef, onion and garlic until beef is no longer pink, stirring occasionally, drain.
2. Add beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, and spices
3. Cover; simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionallly.
4. Serve immediately. You can your favorite toppings on top or serve plain.

0 comments: