Thursday, March 5, 2009

Chicken and Dumplings

My Grandma used to make this all the time when I was a child. It was one of the first things she taught me to cook. I love it. I made this the other night for my husband's grandma. I love soup. This one is hearty and a meal in itself with the dumplings.

You can add any other veggies you want.


Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Ingredients
3 chicken breasts
3 boxes of chicken broth
1 can of peas
1 can of corn
1 can of green beans
1 small bag of baby carrots cut in half (they cook faster, you can use regular cut small)
1 tsp basil
1 tsp rosemary
1 tsp thyme
salt and pepper to taste

Dumplings -
2 1/4 cup of bisquick
2/3 cup of milk


1. Pour 1 and 1/2 boxes of chicken stock into a pot with 3 chicken breasts bring to a boil, reduce and simmer for 30 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked.
2. Take chicken out of pot and set aside to cool.
3. Add the rest of the broth.
4. Drop chopped carrots into pot for 10 minutes. Then add drained cans of peas, green beans and corn (you can use frozen, just put them in at the same time as the carrots)
5. Add all the seasoning to the pot
6. Shred the cooled chicken with a fork and drop into pot.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

7. Mix bisquick and milk in a small bowl. Dough should not be dry but slightly sticky.
8. Wait for soup to boil and then drop bisquick into pan by the spoonfuls.
9. Dunk them under the water with a spoon, then reduce heat and let simmer for 10-15 minutes.

1 comments:

Erin said...

YUM!! I love dumplings!