Friday, December 26, 2008

Fabulous Sugar Cookies

Photobucket

I found this recipe online. The original recipe called for almond extract - which I didn't have - so I doubled the vanilla extract. I wonder if the almond extract would have made it sweeter? Either way, my husband didn't think the cookies were sweet enough. They didn't roll out very easily either. The dough was super sticky and kept sticking to my rolling pin and my counter. After awhile I gave up and just made cookie balls. My husband preferred the cookie balls to the cutouts because they were softer. The cutouts were crisp... but they held their shape really well.

Either way - here is the recipe I used:

Ingredients
1 1/2 c. butter
1 1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. powdered sugar
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
5 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt

* Preheat oven to 400 degrees
* Cream butter and sugar with mixer until light
* Add eggs one at a time and mix thoroughly after each egg
* Add vanilla and almond extract
* Sift flour, baking powder and salt into mixture a little at a time
* do not overmix
*Chill dough for up to 1 week. (I chilled it for about 4 hours)
* Roll out on a floured surface and cut into your favorite shapes (all I had was the men cutout, butterflies, ladybugs and hearts..)
*Bake cookies for 7-8 minutes and cool on a wire rack

Photobucket


*I tried to make red frosting by adding what was left of my red food coloring to the white frosting. I guess I didnt have enough left because all it did was make hot pink. It turned out okay for the heart cutouts I made. I was just making the heart cut outs for my husband anyways, so no one really cared or saw them anyways. A few of my gingerbread men had pink scarves though. :)

0 comments: